Welcome to the Second Annual UW Book Madness Tournament! Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien beat Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen in last year’s championship. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee barely lost to LOTR. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer lost to Pride and Prejudice in a landslide (69 votes compared to 762 votes). Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger barely made it at all, losing immediately to The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini beat The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and landed itself into the Final Four!
Who will reign supreme in 2014?
You get a chance to predict!
Students, campus staff including faculty, library staff, and community members can fill out and submit brackets ahead of time. Winners with the bracket that most closely guesses the outcomes of the book match-ups will win a gift card to the University Bookstore.
Once you’ve made your predictions, drop off brackets at the following participating libraries: College, Ebling, Geology, Memorial, Physics, Steenbock, Water, and Wendt. Visit the UW Book Madness website to read about each book so you can make educated guesses.
Brackets must be turned in by March 18th. Voting will begin on March 20th.
We’re Pretty Pumped for these Categories
- Books in Movies vs. Books on TV
- Glass Half-Full vs. Glass Half-Empty
- Required Readings vs. Guilty Pleasures
- Stars ‘n Stripes (U.S. Award Winners) vs. Union Jack (UK Award Winners)
Rules for Play
- Deadline to submit your bracket is 11:59 pm on March 18th, 2014.
- Printed brackets should be filled out and submitted to a participating library.
- No electronic submissions will be accepted.
- One submission per person.
- Voting will begin March 20th.
- Library staff cannot win a prize.
Let the games begin! (And may the odds be ever in your favorite book’s favor?)