The following resources are available to assist University Offices in the management of their university public records.
Frequently Asked Questions on Organization University Records and Files.
How Does our Department or Unit begin to get our university records in order? See document for records maangement plan below.
What is a Records Management File Plan? A file Plan is a document that provides transparency in the management of university records. Departments and units should develop a file plan which documents their records management processes and where and how information is managed. For more information see the links below.
- 2017 University Records; File Plans; and Retention – Creating a Roadmap to Success [pdf] Record Management Presentation for staff
- 2017 Job-Aid for University File Plans
- 2017-File-Plan- Template form[Word format] For use by department or units.
What is Record Classficiation and Taxonomy? and how do we apply it to electronic files?
- 2017 JobAid-Classification and Taxonomy
- 3 Things an IKEA Dresser can teach us about Content Management. AIIM. John Mancini. May 18, 2015
- UW-Madison Research Data Services File Naming and Versioning
The following short video tutorial contain very good information in which to apply to electronic files. The information is courtesy of the University of North Carolina Archives. Concepts apply to UW-Madison Records.
- Part 1: Why Filing is Important(3:19 min)
- Part 2: How to Change a File Name(2:37 min)
- Part 3: What Not to Do When Naming Files(3:27 min)
- Part 4: What to Do When Naming Files(1:43 min)
For machine readable formats for storage of electronic information see the National Archives Appendix A: Table of File Formats.
Where do we start with Organization of Shared Network Drives?
Some University Department or Units have indicated interest in getting their unstructure information in their network shared drive cleaned up. See below the Guidance and Job aids to assist in this project.
- 2016 Job Aid 1: Shared Drive Set Up or Cleaning Up [pdf.]
- 2016 Job Aid 2: Keeping Shared Drives Organized pdf.]
- 2016 List of Application Tools for Shared Drive Clean-up [pdf.]
- 2016 Video – Management and Organization of Shared Drives [Video-mp4] **Handout- Presentation Shared Net Drive[pdf.]
Article: File Servers: 7 Tips for Managing Files and Records.July 1, 2015 Chris Caplinger
Article: ROT Introduction & Prevention Tips – August 23, 2016 Zasio, Rick Surber