Welcome to the Records Management Training Resource Page.
The first step in records management is to understand what is a record.
The general definition of a record is established under Wis. Stat. 16.61(2)(b). Public Records are defined as “all books, papers, maps, photographs, films, recordings, optical disks, electronically formatted documents or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made, or received by any state agency or its officers or employees in connection with the transaction of public business.”
- Introduction to University Records Management– YouTube Video 11:25 min.
- Do you have a University Record? [pdf.]
Information and New Systems Applications for Campus:
Thinking of purchasing a new software application to manage your information? Records management should be part of that discussion.
Records Mangement Newsletters
Newletters are sent out through the Records Mgt WiscList. To subscribe, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2017 05 Records Management Newsletter May
- 2017 04 Records Management Newsletter April
- 2016 01 Records Management Newsletter January
- 2015 04 Records Management Newsletter April
Inside UW and Library News and Events
- 2017-06-07 Peg Eusch, driving force behind records management, set to retire
- 2015-04-15 On the Record
Quiz: So, you think you know something about records management? Take this quiz: Records Management Quiz – Public Records Board and find out more.
UW-Madison Record Management Guidance Documents have been endorsed as a Record Management Best Practice by the University Record Management Advisory Group (URMAG).
University Records Managment Guidelines:
- 2014 UW-Madison Employee Responsibility for University Records[pdf]
- 2017 2017 Vital Records Guidance as part of the COOP plan
- 2016 UWSA Procedure 399.1 Storage of Supporting Documentation for Financial Transactions.
- 2016 UW-Madison Managing Electronic Records in Information Systems: Shared Drives; Content Management Systems; Document Mgt System; Collaborative Tools and other Electronic Info. Systems [pdf]
- 2015 UW-Madison Record Mgt Guide Departing Employees [pdf]
- 2014 UW-Madison Electronic Business Communication and University Records (Business Communications including e-mail)[pdf]
- 2014 UW-Madison Guidelines for Document Imaging and University Records[pdf]
- UWSA- Records Management Guidelines for Information Technology Systems
- UWSA-Records Management: Best Business Practices
- 2016 FAQs for University Employees on University Records
- 2017 Introduction to University Records Management– YouTube Video 11:25 min. NEW
- 2017 Retention and Disposition of Records – YouTube Video 8:42 min NEW
- 2016 Organization and Management of Shared Drives – YouTube Video 9:32 min
- 2013 Introduction to Records Management You Tube Video 6:03 min
- 2013 Need help organizing your e-mail? E-Mail Organization for Records Management and Compliance. YouTube Video 11:20 min
- 2013 Thinking about Imaging University Records?
- Digitizing Documents: Is It Right for You? YouTube Video 6:25 min Handout for Document Imaging [pdf]
FAQ’s: Content in links provided to the right in the gray box address Record Mangement topics of interest and training materials. Training materials are primarily in the form of videos, PowerPoint presentations or PDF Documents or brochures.
- Records Management Compliance
- Organization of University Records includes Records Mgt File Plans and Shared Drives
- University Employee Responsibility for Records
- University Electronic Mail
- University Records and Vital Records for COOP planning
- Document Imaging and Scanning of University Records
- Records and Department or Unit move or Closing
- University Research Records
- Electronic Storage and Backup
- Dispositions of University Records