Welcome to the Records Management Training Resource page
The first step is to understand what a record and non-record are. The general definition of a record is established under Wis. Stat. 16.61(2)(b). “Public records” mean all books, papers, maps, photographs, films, recordings, optical disks, electronically formatted documents or other documentary materials, regardless of physical form or characteristics, made, or received by any state agency or its officers or employees in connection with the transaction of public business.
For machine readable formats for storage of electronic information see the National Archives Appendix A: Table of File Formats.
UW-Madison Record Management Guidance Documents have been endorsed as a Record Management Best Practice by the University Record Management Advisory Group.
QUIZ: So, you think you know something about records management? Take this quiz: Records Management Quiz – Public Records Board and find out more.
Guidelines: See also Records Management Policy and Guidance
- 2014 UW-Madison Employee Responsibility for University Records[pdf]
- 2016 UW-Madison Records Mgt Guide for Departing Employees [pdf]
- 2016 UWSA Procedure 399.1 Storage of Supporting Documentation for Financial Transactions.
- 2016 UW-Madison Managing Electronic Records in Information Systems: Shared Drives;Content Mgt Sys.; Doc Mgt Sys; Collab Tools and other Electronic Inf. Systems [pdf]
- 2014UW-Madison Electronic Business Communication and University Records (Business Communications including e-mail)[pdf]
- 2014 UW-Madison Guidelines for Document Imaging and University Records[pdf]
- UWSA- Records Management Guidelines for Information Technology Systems
- UWSA-Records Management: Best Business Practices
- 2017 Introduction to University Records Management– YouTube Video 11:25 min. NEW
- 2017 Retention and Disposition of Records – YouTube Video 8:42 min NEW
- 2016 Organization and Management of Shared Drives – YouTube Video 9:32 min
- 2013 Introduction to Records Management You Tube Video 6:03 min
- 2013 Need help organizing your e-mail? E-Mail Organization for Records Management and Compliance. YouTube Video 11:20 min
- 2013 Thinking about Imaging University Records? Digitizing Documents: Is It Right for You? YouTube Video 6:25 min Handout for Document Imaging [pdf]
FAQ’s: Content in links provided to the right in the gray box address Record Mangement topics of interest and training materials. Training materials are primarily in the form of videos, PowerPoint presentations or PDF Documents or brochures.
- Organization of University Records
- University Employee Responsibility for Records
- University Electronic Mail
- Document Imaging and Scanning of University Records
- Records and Department or Unit move or Closing
- University Research Records
- Electronic Storage and Backup
- Dispositions of University Records