The State Records Center can be used for cost-effective offsite storage of inactive University Records.
Authorization for Using the State Records Center
In order to use the State Records Center (SRC) for storage, a person must become an Authorized User. This authorization allows a person to create, submit and retrieve inventory from the State Record Center via the SRC’s Versatile system. At the UW-Madison, Authorized Users are created at the division level by UDDS number. While there are no limits to the number of Authorized Users in a division. it may make sense to have one or two designated people assigned to the task. If you would like to request access:
- Download the SRC User Authorization form DOA-3807 from the State Records Center.
- Fill out only the “Add New User” section. The top section with Agency Name, Number, Record Officer and date will be filled out by the UW Records Officer.
- Email the form in MS Word format to email@example.com.
- The UW-Records Officer will complete the form and send it to the State Records Center authorizing you to obtain a User Name and Password. You will be notified by the SRC when this is complete.
Ordering Records Center Storage Boxes
The State Records Center (SRC) requires a specific type of heavy-duty storage carton be used by its customers. When sending boxed records to the SRC customers must use an approved record storage carton that measures 10″H x 15″L x 12″W. This size provides 1.2 cubic foot of storage capacity. Letter size records fit from front to back, legal size records fit sideways.
Boxes can be purchased by UW Departments through Shop@UW. Once logged in, go to the “Shop at a Hosted Supplier Catalog” section –> click on the UW’s MDS Warehouse. In the search box, type either “Record Storage Carton” or “3191-BUNDLE” which is the part number. The boxes can also be found by going to “Advanced Search” and and type either of these into the appropriate fields.
Currently, a bundle of 10 boxes / $13.41.
Using Versatile to Manage Your Records
Website for State Records Center Versatile Application.
Using the State Records Center Versatile Application
2017 JOB AID SRC Creating Box in the Versatile System.
Training slides From SRC for using Versatile from the State Records Center:
- For instructions on how to submit new inventory, click here.
- For instructions on how to search and request inventory, click here.
- To submit new inventory or request the retrieval of existing inventory via the Wisconsin State Records Center Inventory website, whether it be boxes, files, tapes, film or other media, click here.
Locating a Records Series in Versatile (aka State Records Center)
To locate and tie inventory to the record series or RDA, log into Versatile with your password and login.
There are 3 levels: Global, Company and Department
- GLOBAL: The UW System-wide Schedules are at this level. Scroll way down to records series that begin with a UW. The global level houses all of the states record series so be sure to choose an approved record series for UW Madison use.
- COMPANY: UW-Madison campus-wide schedule.
- DEPARTMENT: These are unique records schedules for department use by UDDS number.
Other FORMS from the State Records Center
For more information on Disposition see Records Disposition & Destruction
Records Disposal Process for inventory stored at the SRC
Two times a year the SRC conducts disposal of records per the Records Schedules, which are managed in the Versatile software based on the dates entered. The University Records Officer receives a list from the SRC of records eligible for destruction and sends that list out to the individual departments to see if there is litigation, audit or open records request which would suspend the records destruction. A sign off is obtained to release the boxes. This process happens in June and November.