Now hiring! Student Historian for 2021/2022
Apply now! Student Historian in Residence for the University Archives
- academic year position with opportunity to extend
- $12.00/hour; average 8 hours per week
- mix of remote and onsite work
Deadline to apply: August 1, 2021
The UW-Madison Archives is seeking a highly-motivated and creative upper level undergraduate student to serve as a Student Historian in Residence. They’ll be joining current Student Historian Sophia Abrams as our Student Historians for the 2021-2022 academic year.
THE STUDENT HISTORIAN WILL:
- Develop a research project focused on historically under-researched and underrepresented people and stories in our campus current and past history
- Work on peer outreach and education activities related to their work and/or the Archives
- Share their work with the campus community in one or more ways, which could include a physical exhibit, web exhibit, presentation, podcast, publication, etc.
This position offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to the uncovering of marginalized and underrepresented stories in campus history, deep archival research, hands-on experience working with professional University Archives staff and with primary source materials, as well as possible work with other campus departments, programs, and centers.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Undergraduate student who can make an academic year commitment
- Perspectives and experiences of marginalized/underrepresented communities on campus
- Experience and/or interest in archives, archival research, public history and/or campus history
- Commitment to developing strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to reliably and professionally meet scheduled commitments
Apply on the UW Student Jobs board, JOB NO:498947. You’ll be asked to upload:
- Cover letter addressing your interest and relevant experience
Note: Those invited to interview will be asked for two references.
Application deadline: August 1, 2021
For more information, contact Digital and Media Archivist Cat Phan (catherine.phan [at] wisc.edu) or current Student Historian in Residence Sophia Abrams (sdabrams [at] wisc.edu). Or watch last year’s Student Historians present on their projects from last year on our YouTube channel.