Apply now! To be Student Historian 2020/2021 for the University Archives
Now accepting applications!
Student Historian in Residence for the University Archives
$12/hour, 10-15 hours per week, academic year, remote work to start
Priority deadline to apply: August 14, 2020
The UW-Madison Archives is seeking a highly-motivated and creative upper level undergraduate student to serve as the Student Historian in Residence for the 2020-2021 academic year. The work will be remote and may include or move onsite depending on campus and Libraries status.
THE STUDENT HISTORIAN WILL:
- Develop a research project focused on historically under-researched and underrepresented people and stories in our campus current and past history
- Work on peer outreach and education activities related to their work and/or the Archives
- Share their work with the campus community in one or more ways, which could include a physical exhibit, web exhibit, presentation, podcast, or publication, etc.
This position offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to the uncovering of marginalized and underrepresented stories in campus history, deep archival research, hands-on experience working with professional University Archives staff and with primary source materials, as well as possible work with other campus departments, programs, and centers.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- Undergraduate student who can make an academic year commitment
- Perspectives and experiences of marginalized/underrepresented communities on campus
- Experience and/or interest in archives and/or archival research
- Experience and/or interest in public history and/or campus history
- Commitment to developing strong interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy, the ability to work both independently and on a team, and to reliably and professionally meet the scheduled commitments
TO APPLY, email Cat Phan, Digital and Media Archivist, at catherine.phan [at] wisc.edu with:
- Email Subject: “Student Historian application”
- A resume
- A letter of application addressing your interest and background experience you would bring to the position.
Note: Those invited to interview will be asked for two references.
Application deadline: August 14, 2020