Libraries Complete Transitioning Services Out of Wendt Commons, Into Steenbock
As part of the transformation of the Wendt Commons building, the Libraries have been in the process of transitioning Wendt Library’s collections, services, and staff into the Science & Engineering Libraries’ largest library – Steenbock Library. As a final step in the transition, May 18, 2018 was the last day the library services were offered in Wendt Commons. We expect that the combination of new service delivery options and a streamlined process for moving collections will minimize any disruption to collections, services, and staff during this change.
This overall project is part of a collaboration with the College of Engineering and aligns with its evolving vision for new, student-focused spaces throughout Wendt Commons, as well as with the Libraries’ plans for concentrating physical collections and employing new models of service delivery. The more than 40 years of excellent library services provided at Wendt will continue, based now out of Steenbock Library.
To help you navigate this ongoing process, we would like to provide you with an update on the timeline of events, as well as answers to questions you may have around library resources, materials, and services.
Timeline / Highlights of Note for Library Services & Collections:
|May 10||Last day to select Wendt as a pick-up library in the library catalog. If you’re unable to pick up any on-hold items by May 16, we’ll contact you to make arrangement for pickup or move them to Steenbock after May 18.|
|May 18||Library’s final day and 1st floor study spaces close for the summer.|
|May 19 – August 23||Collections available by request via the library catalog; highest use collections will begin to move to Steenbock|
|June 1||NEW: Delivery service begins to faculty and staff with on-campus mailbox. (go.wisc.edu/OfficeDelivery)|
|August 24 – December 28||Remaining collections unavailable temporarily; Materials available via interlibrary loan (ILL) until campus copies become available.|
Where can I find library staff?
- Wendt librarians have been in Steenbock Library since Fall of 2017 and will continue to support your research, teaching and learning, along with other colleagues from the UW-Madison Libraries.
- A library consultation space will be maintained on the CoE campus, to provide a convenient location for students, faculty or staff to meet and work with our librarians.
How can I access the collections?
- Actively used collections are being moved to Steenbock, while any remaining inactive collections will join other Wendt collections that have already been moved to one of our shelving facilities. Microforms will be moved to Memorial Library.
- Reserves were moved to Steenbock last year.
Will I be able to access materials to support my classes?
- Instructors are encouraged to provide us with early notification of items they would like on reserve for the fall semester.
- May 19 – August 23: Collections available by request via the library catalog.
- August 24 – December 28: Collections unavailable; request via ILL.
What does this mean for study spaces?
- Study space will be updated and expanded on the 1st floor of Wendt (more details to come).
- Study space is expected to be available in the Fall with the remaining space renovated by the Spring semester.
Updates will be made throughout the summer and into the fall through the Libraries and CoE websites, email lists, and social media pages. We encourage you to check back frequently for updates to the transition process. Please contact the Libraries by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with specific questions regarding access to services, collections, or staff help.