QUICK QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
- WHERE WILL MATERIALS FROM THE GEOGRAPHY LIBRARY GO? Several Libraries around campus will intake the materials from Geography or they will be transferred to storage based on frequency of use.
- WHY THE NEED FOR CHANGE? This transition and transformation of the Geography Library space is part of the Libraries’ overall consolidation efforts across campus. It is a closely coordinated effort in partnership with the Department of Geography to overhaul the space to make it more flexible and accessible for students and faculty, while still providing the services and materials the libraries offer.
- WHAT ABOUT THE MAP LIBRARY? The transitioning project at the Geography Library will not impact the Map Library. It will remain open for use as normal.
- NOVEMBER 17, 2017
- Open House celebrating 88th birthday of the Geography Library and future transitioning
- 1:00 – 6:00 P.M.
- DECEMBER 23, 2017
- Geography Library will close as a SERVICE POINT as of December 23, 2017.
- Collection processing will take place in the space through August of 2018.
- Library materials will temporarily be inaccessible during the processing period.
- DECEMBER 23, 2017: AUGUST 31, 2018
- The READING ROOM, STACKS and Hartshorne Conference Room will be inaccessible to patrons.
- The Geography Department and Nelson Institute will provide alternate spaces on a case by case basis during the displacement period.
- SPRING 2018 & SUMMER 2018 INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIAL REQUESTS
- Faculty and Staff must notify Tom Tews of any materials they intend to use during Spring 2018 and Summer 2018 terms prior to December 15, 2017.
- Tom Tews can set materials aside to be processed more quickly so they can be used for reserves or other course support.
- CONTINUED LIBRARIAN PRESENCE
- Geography Librarian Tom Tews will retain a presence in his current office (280B) in Science Hall to provide continued assistance during and after the library’s closure.
- Tom will continue to serve as the library liaison to the Geography Department, including collection development and instruction responsibilities.
- MAP LIBRARY
- The upcoming transformation plan for the Geography Library will not impact hours or services available in the Robinson Map Library.
*Look for continued updates and stories this winter on the transitioning process and plans.