Requesting a Library Item
UW-Madison students, faculty, and staff may request items to be retrieved from a campus library and delivered to the campus library of their choice for pick up.
Requesting and Recalling Items through the Library Catalog
- When you have found an item you want in the library catalog, you can find see the availability of the item by selecting on the availability button from the search results page under the item title. You can also open the full item information page by selecting the title of the item and view the availability in the right-hand column of the page. To place a request or recall for the item, you must open the full item information page and use the links in the Availability section in the right-hand column.
- If there is currently a copy on campus available for request, there will be an option to click on “Place a Request” under Availability. This usually takes 2-3 business days.
- If there are no copies on campus, but a copy is available at a different UW campus, there will be an option to “Request a Copy from UW System.” This usually takes 3-4 business days.
- If all copies are currently unavailable for request, there will be an option to “Recall Item,” which will recall the item from the person who currently has it checked out. This usually takes 7-10 business days.
- Not all items are available for request. You can Ask a Librarian for help accessing resources.
- To request or recall an item, select the “Place a Request,” “Request a Copy from UW System,” or “Recall Item” link.
- You will be prompted to log in with your Net ID.
- You will be given an estimated delivery time for the item.
- Select the desired pickup location from the list.
- Select “Place a Request,” “Request a Copy from UW System,” or “Recall Item” to complete your request. You will receive an email notification when the item is available for pick up.