This short film clip, The McArdle Laboratory and Cancer Research at UW (1966), details research and discoveries made by UW cancer researchers and doctors at the McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research in the mid-1960s. Specific cancer research methods, equipment and facilities are demonstrated by many notable UW cancer researchers including Dr. Harold Rusch, Dr. Roswell Boutwell, Dr. Van R. Potter, Drs. Elizabeth and James Miller, Dr. Gerald C. Mueller, Dr. Robert Emery, Dr. Henry Pitot, Dr. Charles Heidelberger and Dr. Anthony Curreri. The University Archives has oral histories with several of these researchers.
The construction of the first McArdle building resulted from a gift by Michael W. McArdle. Dr. Harold P. Rusch (who narrates and appears in this short film clip) was appointed first Director of the McArdle Laboratory in 1940 and established the cancer research program at the University of Wisconsin. In 1964, the National Cancer Institute funded facilities expansion at the laboratory.
Visit McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research for more information about this institute and cancer research at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Film clip extracted from Sights and Sounds of 1966, UW-Madison Archives Film_1761. The original 16mm film was digitized in 2010.
View more film clips and videos documenting UW-Madison campus history on our YouTube Channel: TheUWMadArchives. On, Wisconsin!