We add approximately 75-100 new interviews to our collection each year. Interviews range from 45 minutes to 45 hours although 3-5 hours is the average length. Most interviews have been collected as audio-only but we are increasingly collecting audio-video oral histories.
- Some interviews may not yet be available in the catalog due to processing and indexing work. Click here to view a list of non-cataloged interviews.
- Click here to view a list of interviews organized by name.
- Click here to view a list of interviews organized by UW department.
Browse the Collection
Click here to browse the collection of oral histories available through the UW-Madison library catalog.
Search for a Specific Interview
Use the library catalog to discover specific interviews within the collection.
- Go to: https://www.library.wisc.edu/
- Click “advanced search”
- Key word search “oral history” and the individual’s name (e.g. “oral history” and “Birge”)
- Select “sound recordings” (see image #1)
- Click “search”
- Limit search results to “UW Archives” (see image #2)
Looking for someone specific? Follow steps 1-5 but keyword search on their name + “oral history”.
Browse the Collection by Series
Some interviews were collected as part of a larger effort to document specific themes related to UW campus history. View the list of currents Series:
For further assistance searching for oral history interviews in the library catalog, contact the Oral History Program Head or call 608-890-1899.