To keep an item you have checked out longer, you are often able to ‘renew’ it.
UW-Madison faculty / staff / students (with NetIDs)
- For UW-Madison items, login to your Library Catalog account and select the item(s) to be renewed, then click Renew.
- Renewal limits: Undergraduates can checkout most items for a maximum of 84 days. Graduate students, faculty, and staff can checkout most items for a maximum of 24 months.
Other UW-Madison card holders (without NetIDs)
- Log in with your library card number and last name. Select the item(s) to be renewed, then click Renew.
More about renewals
- Be sure to check the status message to see if the item(s) has been renewed. If the item status does not read ‘renewed’, one of the following occurred:
- You have reached the renewal limit
- The item you want to renew is not eligible for renewal
- You are trying to renew the item too early (this applies to semester loans)
- Items that cannot be renewed include:
- Items that have reached renewal limit
- Items that have been recalled by another user
- Reserve materials
- If you have questions or would like more information, contact the UW-Madison Libraries Circulation Office in Memorial Library at (608) 263-7360, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
When may I renew materials?
- UW-Madison faculty, staff and graduate students with semester loans may request renewals about four weeks prior to the due date.
- Undergraduates and other patrons with 28-day loans may renew at any time, however, waiting until the due date to renew results in the maximum extended loan period.