The UW-Madison Libraries have embarked on a major effort to transform the libraries to better meet the changing needs of the higher education environment. With the spring semester moving quickly, we want to provide you with another update on the changes coming to the Social Science Reference Library this spring. As a reminder, beginning May 18, 2019, the SSRL will no longer be a Library service point.
For those that use the SSRL this semester, you may already notice some additional activity around the collections in the space related to the project. Services such as reserves and library open hours will remain in place through the Spring Semester.
We understand there may be questions regarding the Social Science Reference Library consolidation, so we have created library-specific information and an up-to-date FAQ page. We encourage you to review the information below and contact Tom Durkin or the Libraries’ Consolidation Team with additional questions you may have.
For additional information about the transition, visit the SSRL site.
Timeline for Transition
- January 2019: limited collection work began in the Social Science Reference Library.
- May 8, 2019: Deadline for students to choose a new pickup location for ILL requests. Faculty and staff may choose campus delivery to have materials delivered to the Social Science building.
- May 16, 2019: Last date to pick up material requests in SSRL.
- May 17, 2019: Last date as service point; end of reserves service.
- May 18, 2019: SSRL is no longer a library service point; find a library to return materials.
- May 20, 2019: Full-time collection work begins.
- July 2019: Library desk and shelving removed; L&S will work with the Economics Department for future use of the space.
We appreciate your flexibility during these transitions. Look for an additional update from the Libraries as we prepare to wrap up the spring semester. In the meantime, there is additional information on the Social Science Reference Library website.