Carrels (Open & Locked)

Carrels are located throughout the library and include both open and locked carrels.

Open Carrels

Open carrels, a.k.a. "cages", are available for quiet study
Open carrels in the North stacks

Open carrels are distributed around the perimeters of the north and south stacks areas. These carrels cannot be reserved.

Reserve a Carrel

There is a set of 1-person carrels that may be reserved by anyone with a Net-ID, much like the group study rooms. Please visit the Reserve a 1-Person Carrel page for more information.

Locked Carrels

A limited number of locked carrels are available for graduate students studying in the library.

Application process:

  • Complete the online application form. Please indicate on the form where (on what floor or area) you would like to be located. Carrels are available on: 
    • 1 North
    • 1M North
    • 3 North & South
    • 4 North & South
    • 4M North
    • 5 North & South
    • 6 North
    • 7 South
  • You will be notified via email when your carrel has been assigned.
  • To obtain the key, bring the notification email to the Memorial Library Circulation Desk.
  • Your key will be loaned to you in your library account. At the end of each semester, you can renew the key online, along with any library materials. 
  • At the end of the 24 months, or when you are finished with the carrel, return the key to the Memorial Library Circulation Desk

Locked carrel policies:

  • To qualify for a locked carrel, you must be enrolled in graduate school at UW- Madison, or be an Honorary Fellow at UW-Madison. Your library account must be free of blocks.
  • Library books kept in carrels or lockers must be checked out.
  • Carrels are assigned for 24 months.
  • If you reach the 24 month carrel assignment limit, graduate students may not renew their carrel assignment; Honorary Fellows may request a renewal for the period of the fellowship by emailing Circulation Support.
  • Lost and unreturned keys will be assessed a $10.00 non-refundable replacement fee. Failure to pay this fee may result in a block on borrowing privileges and on university records.
  • For more detailed information please contact: Circulation Support

Faculty Carrels

Located on the 5th Floor.  Visit the Faculty Carrels page for more information.