Carrels (Open & Locked)
Carrels are located throughout the library and include both open and locked carrels.
Distributed around the perimeters of the north and south stacks areas. These carrels cannot be reserved.
Reserve a Carrel
There is a set of 1-person carrels that may be reserved by anyone with a Net ID, much like the group study rooms. Please visit the Reserve a 1-Person Carrel page for more information.
A limited number of locked carrels (a.k.a. “cages”) are available for graduate students studying in the library:
- You must currently be enrolled in graduate school at UW- Madison, or be an Honorary Fellow at UW-Madison.
- You must have completed at least one year of graduate work. Graduate school credit from another accredited university is allowable, but documentation is required.
- Carrel assignments are for 18 months for graduate students; for Honorary Fellows assignment is for the period of the fellowship.
- Assignments are not renewable.
- Two occupants to a carrel so the space is divided and desktop must be left clear. Failure to comply will result in loss of carrel privileges.
- Lost and unreturned keys will be assessed a $10.00 non-refundable replacement fee. Failure to pay this fee may result in a block on borrowing privileges and on university records.
Online application form: Please indicate on form where (on what floor or area) you would like to be located.
- You will be notified via email when your carrel has been assigned. To obtain the key bring the email to the Circulation Desk. Staff are not authorized to dispense keys without the email notification.
- For more detailed information please contact: Memorial Circulation Office
Please note: Library books kept in carrels or lockers must be checked out.
Located on the 5th Floor. Visit the Faculty Carrels page for more information.