Note: Staff must retrieve these items for patron use.
- Locked Case: houses materials prone to theft and mutilation; ask at Circulation Desk; items may circulate.
- Shelving Facility: off-site shelving houses earlier theses and dissertations, low-use materials, journals whose contents are available online. Circulation policies vary. Materials may be requested via Library Catalog.
- Special Collections – (976): sometimes called Rare Books. Materials do not circulate.
- Microform Media Collection: houses microforms and other media. Ask at the Circulation Desk for assistance. Microform readers are in 262D/E.
- Reference Non-Current Collection: reference materials currently located in the Basement Stacks. Ask at the Circulation Desk for assistance. Items do not circulate.
- Shakespeare Collection: selected Shakespeare writings and commentaries; ask at Circulation Desk; items may or may not circulate.
- Storage Collection: items moved to temporary shelves; ask at Circulation Desk; items may circulate.
- Theses and Dissertations – (B North): Theses are not classed by subject, rather they are in alphabetical order by author in the following groups:
- AWB = Phds 1964 to present
- AWO = Masters 1964 to present
- Ask at the Circulation Desk for assistance. PhDs circulate and may be checked out; Masters do not circulate, but may be used in the library.
Help with dissertations and theses: How to Find UW-Madison Dissertations and Masters Theses.