The submission process is now closed. Check back in September 2018 to apply for the
2019 Digital Salon.
In order to be considered for acceptance in the online collection and the exhibit in College Library, students need to fill out and submit an online submission form. You will be asked for information like:
- description of the work
- the course for which the work was created
- if not for a course, information about why was the work created
- artist or work statement (if appropriate)
- a link to the work (if available)
Twice a year the selection committee reviews submissions and selects work to be added to the online collection. In the spring, the committee selects work from the online collection to showcase in an exhibition in College Library’s Open Book.
For acceptance in the online collection, work is evaluated using the following criteria:
- To what extent does the work use new media or information technology in interesting and engaging ways?
- If the work is research oriented, how clear and understandable is the presentation of the data?
- Does the work represent original thought?
- Are sources consulted and others’ ideas appropriately cited?
- Is the work in a completed state or is it a work-in-progress?
- Is communication – written or in other formats – clear, concise, and free of errors?
- Is the submission form complete?
Some work from the online collection will be selected for an April exhibition that will occur in College Library in conjunction with the Undergraduate Symposium and Ideas to Excellence initiative. The Digital Salon Team will select a subset of the best work that represents different media, fields of study, independent work and media to create an exhibition suited to the constraints and opportunities presented by our exhibition space. We will consider the following questions:
- Is the work an exemplar when compared to the other works accepted in the collection?
- Can the work be displayed with minimal security considerations?
- Can the work be displayed within the constraints of the space and technology available?