Citation Managers are software applications that can help researchers …
- Gather references automatically from article databases
- Format manuscripts and citations instantly in a variety of styles (MLA, APA, Turabian, etc.)
- Generate bibliographies
- Create and organize a personal research database of references, images and PDFs
- Share citations with colleagues on campus and around the world
- Transfer references among various applications
Citation Managers at UW-Madison
EndNote Desktop is a desktop citation manager that must be purchased individually from DoIT or the UBS Digital Outpost. EndNote Basic is a Web-based citation manager free to UW-Madison staff and students that can be used as a standalone citation manager or in conjunction with EndNote Desktop. It is made available through the UW-Madison Libraries’ subscription to Web of Science. Both Mendeley and Zotero are free citation manager and social networking tools, with desktop and Web components, available to all.
For a list of citation managers supported by staff of the UW-Madison Libraries, please see our comparison chart. Library staff are happy to assist you in determining the best citation manager for your information needs. Please contact your liaison librarian or a member of the group of citation managers consultants.
For a more comprehensive list of citation managers, please consult Wikipedia.