**Please Note: macOS Catalina 10.15 will only support EndNote X9. More information is available here.**
EndNote is a citation management software package, used to manage bibliographies and references when writing essays and articles. It can used in the browser for free as EndNote Basic, or it can be purchased as a Desktop client for more advanced functionality. To see the differences between EndNote Basic and EndNote Desktop, please see this comparison information from EndNote. Check the box reading “I Have Web of Science” to see the features for campus affiliates.
EndNote Basic (Online)
EndNote Basic, formerly EndNote Web and also referred to as EndNote Online, is free for anyone to use.
Create an Account
- Login to EndNote Basic
- Click SIGN UP FOR AN ACCOUNT
- Enter the required information on the left hand side of the menu, including a Login Name and Password
- Read terms and click I AGREE
Using EndNote Basic from Off Campus (Roaming Access)
In order to use EndNote Basic off-campus, you must first register and login from an IP authenticated workstation. After twelve months, you are required to login again from an IP authenticated workstation to re-establish your affiliation with UW-Madison and to restore access to styles, filters and online connections. If your account was set up at a different institution, contact ISI to change your affiliation to UW-Madison.
- Access Web of Science from a campus computer
- Click SIGN IN in the horizontal menu at the top of the page
- Enter your EndNote Basic login and password
- You will know you have signed in if you see “Signed In” in the horizontal menu at the top
- Click ENDNOTE on the top menu to access your account. This resets your roaming access for one year
- Click the OPTIONS tab, then click ACCOUNT INFORMATION to track your roaming access
EndNote for Windows or Mac is a robust citation management program which you can purchase with an educational discount from DoIT. With EndNote you can:
- Create a personal research database and organize references, images and PDFs
- Import citations from online databases as you search
- Format bibliographies instantly while you write
- Share your citations and PDFs with 100 other EndNote Users using unlimited cloud storage
Installing EndNote Desktop
Select Custom when installing EndNote so that you can choose to install:
- Additional Connection Files
- Additional Import Filters
- Additional Bibliographical Output Styles
Before using your EndNote Library, Import Journal Lists in order to enable journal abbreviations.
- From the EndNote menu, select TOOLS, then DEFINE TERMS LIST
- Click on JOURNALS, then IMPORT LIST….A window will open containing a variety of subject-oriented term lists. Select any term lists that are related to your research
Note: If you already have citations in your EndNote Library, you must first delete any existing term lists before completing the steps above.
Customizing EndNote for UW-Madison
1. For version EndNote X3 and newer, users can set up their software so EndNote can find full text of article using UW-Madison’s Library subscriptions.
- Open your EndNote Library
- Click EDIT, then click PREFERENCES
- Click URLS & LINKS on the left side of the Preferences window
- In the OPEN URL ARGUMENTS box, replace =ISI:WOS with =ISI:endnote in “?sid=ISI:WOS&…”
- Click FIND FULL TEXT on the left side of the Preferences window.
- In the OpenURL Path box, enter:
(The trailing question mark must be included!)
- In the Authenticate with URL box, enter:
- Click OK
Note: Please be selective about downloading full text articles this way. Mass downloads may trigger journal vendor action. Read more about Responsible Use of Licenced Electronic Resources.
2. Downloading and Installing UW-Madison Connection File to to search and import references from the UW-Madison Library Catalog:
- Go to Connection Files on vendor site.
- Search and download the connection file for University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Double-click the connection file to open in EndNote.
- In EndNote, click “File Menu” and choose “Save as”. Remove the word “copy” and click “Save.”
- Click on “File Menu” and choose “Close Connection.”
EndNote publisher Clarivate Analytics maintains an extensive user manual online. Topics covered include: using import filters, creating bibliographies, finding output styles, and importing journal abbreviations/term lists, etc. EndNote Training is also available from EndNote’s YouTube channel.