Last week, Madison B-cycle unveiled 30 new “Poetic Bikes” into their bicycle lending system as part of a city-wide partnership with Poetry Jumps Off the Shelf, a local organization run by Parallel Press poet Shoshauna Shy. In the past, Poetry Jumps Off the Shelf has partnered with Community Car in a similar effort to integrate poems and poetry into everyday events– like a commute to work or school.
In order to choose poems, the team sifted through over 300 submissions, searching for work with a Madison theme. 10 poems were selected and were added to 30 of the iconic red B-cycle Bikes.
List of poems and their poets:
- “Tree on Johnson Street” by Jan Chronister
- “the wi film festival” by Amelia Cook
- “Old House on Lake Monona—the Near End of Jenifer ST” by Peg Carlson Lauber
- “It was already clear” by Ralph Murre
- “First Fall Semester” by Andrea Potos
- “Cursive Discarded From Grade School Curriculum” by Shoshauna Shy
- “From my Window” by Danez Smith
- “Orange Custard Chocolate Chip” by Frannie Zellman
- “Arboretum Walk” and “State Street, Late November” by Rosemary Zurlo-Cuva