LP display returns! Back in 2009, we started a tradition of choosing a theme for a month, either to acknowledge a significant historical event (Edison receives the patent for the phonograph, Feb.9, 1878) or to play along with whatever that month was already celebrating (i.e., October is Caffeine Addiction Recovery Month), selecting LPs from our collection of over 38,000 that had cover art relating to the theme, and then hanging them in frames on the wall in our Audio Facility. We shuttered the Audio Facility in August 2014, and thus the LP display tradition came to an end.
We have resurrected the tradition, and the LPs are on the wall beside the door to our seminar room. Our first display is celebrating the spacecraft Juno successfully orbiting Jupiter this month, and all of the other space exploration milestones that have happened in July throughout history:
- July 20th, 1969 (Apollo 11): First human on the Moon and first space launch from a celestial body
- July 15th, 1972: Pioneer 10 is the first mission to enter the asteroid belt and leave inner Solar System
- July 4th, 1997: Mars Pathfinder is the first operational rover on another planet (Mars)
- July 1st, 2001: Cassini-Huygens is the first to orbit Saturn
- July 2015: New Horizons is the first to fly by Pluto
- July 2016: Juno spacecraft successfully begins orbiting Jupiter
The Stellar Summer Sounds LPs are not just for show, though. Listen to them here on our turntables! Check them out and listen to them at home! Be sure to check back every month for a new theme, and new LPs on display.