Paying for Printing – Questions

Many questions about pay for printing are addressed below, but if you have other questions, feel free to Ask a Librarian.

Questions of specific interest to departments are available farther down this page.

General User Questions

If you have a current active UW-Madison ID, you already have a Wiscard account and a Print Account. Those accounts are tied to your UW-Madison ID. You can add funds to these accounts online at or in person on the second floor at Memorial Library.

A Wiscard account can be used to pay for many different goods and services on campus, including printing and photocopying, food services, books, and other school supplies. Funds can be added online or in-person at the Wiscard office on the first floor of Union South.

A Print Account can only be used to pay for printing and photocopying in Libraries, InfoLabs, and a few other places on campus. Funds can be added online (credit card) or in person (cash) at Memorial Library.

If you already use a Wiscard account to pay for housing, food, or other purchases it may be better for you to stay with that account for printing and copying. If you don’t already use a Wiscard account, there are policies for adding funds to each account that you will want to consider.

When you add funds to a Wiscard account, you must add a minimum of $15 at a time and there is a small fee when adding funds with a credit card. Print Accounts can have as little as $5 added at a time and the credit card fee is covered by the InfoLab program. NOTE that Print Accounts can ONLY pay for printing and photocopying.

Yes. Guest Cards can be picked up at most Library service desks, as well as at a kiosk in Memorial Library. Adding funds to a Guest Card can be done with a credit card online at or in cash at the Memorial Library kiosk.

Wiscard accounts: Funds can be added via credit card or e-check online. The Wiscard office at Union South can add funds with cash, credit card or e-check.

Print Accounts: Funds can be added by credit card at Cash can be added at the 2nd floor kiosk at Memorial Library.

If money was removed from your account for a job that wasn’t printed – or printed badly – if the location is staffed they may be able to reprint the job for you.

If you simply want a refund for the funds removed, go to the DoIT page on Pay-for-Print, scroll down to the section on refunds, and follow those instructions.

Wiscard accounts: The Wiscard office will return amounts over $15 and will charge a $5 fee. Contact the Wiscard office for more information.

Print accounts: There are no refunds for Print Accounts.

Department Questions

The Wiscard office can distribute Department Cards that can then be handed out to students, faculty or staff for department business.

To get guest cards for department use, contact the Wiscard office by phone.

A department can charge Guest Card funds either to a department pro-card or to a UDDS number. Using a pro-card, a department can add funds to a guest card online. To add funds from a UDDS number, call the Wiscard office.

Contact the Wiscard office and they will be able to cancel the card and issue a new card if you need one.

In addition to being able to be funded through UDDS numbers, a department card can have an expiration date or can have spending limits in place. Contact the Wiscard office for more information.

Yes. Contact the Wiscard office to handle this.