- Wednesday, September 28, 2016
- Wednesday, September 28, 2016Citation Manager: EndNote Desktop12:00 pm-1:00 pmEndNote, a citation management database, is designed to help you import (from journal databases, etc.) collect, organize, and save bibliographic citations/references, and to insert citations directly into research papers using any one of hundreds of style formats. We will demo some of EndNote Web’s features too.
- Friday, September 30, 2016
- Friday, September 30, 2016Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)4:00 pm-6:00 pmThis workshop is an introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and ArcGIS 10.3 software. Students will map demographic data from the US Census using ArcMap software. To secure 1 of the 20 seats in this workshop, students must pre-register by emailing Jaime Martindale in the UW Map Library: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016
- Tuesday, October 4, 2016Researching Literature in the Social Sciences4:00 pm-5:30 pmAre you working on a research project, proposal, dissertation, or publication? Learn strategies for conducting a literature search in the social sciences and get introduced to core database that will help you more thoroughly and efficiently mine the academic literatures. Please register at: http://bit.ly/2buT38t
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016
- Tuesday, October 11, 2016Grants for Your Education2:00 pm-3:30 pmFor current and future students of any institute of higher education interested in researching potential scholarships, fellowships, and grants for one’s education. Focus is on how to identify funding sources beyond those that are available through most offices of financial aid. Printed materials will be available; online versions are available below. This workshop is also available online: http://go.wisc.edu/842cvd
- Wednesday, October 12, 2016
- Wednesday, October 12, 2016Current Awareness Tools: Staying on Top of Your Field12:00 pm-1:00 pmNeed ideas to stay on top of your professional discipline, research interests, etc.? Does what little time you have seem to be spent learning new tools only to never use them? Then attend our Current Awareness Tools makeover! We can offer suggestions and consult with you on how to maximize your efficiency with the limited time you have. Good old fashioned RSS feeds and readers such as Feedly as well as BrowZine, the new journal browsing program for mobiles or desktops, will be covered.
- Tuesday, October 18, 2016
- Tuesday, October 18, 2016Managing Your Rights as an Author12:00 pm-1:00 pmHave you given any thought to managing your own copyrights? Would you automatically sign a publishing agreement without reading the fine print? What are the implications of public access to your thesis or dissertation after deposit or of delaying release? This session will address common authors' rights issues encountered by graduate students. Please register at: http://bit.ly/2aOyaVJ
- Tuesday, October 18, 2016Managing Your Citations with EndNote Basic2:00 pm-3:00 pmEndNote Basic is an online, web-based citation management tool that can be used to format and print a bibliography for a class paper. It is free to use by UW-Madison faculty, students, and staff. In this workshop we will demonstrate how to set up a free account, import and add citations to your personal citation lists, and then print out a formatted bibliography for a paper. The class is offered by the Social Science Reference Library, Rm 8432, Sewell Social Science Bldg.
- Wednesday, October 19, 2016
- Wednesday, October 19, 2016Grants for Your Research and Projects10:00 am-11:30 pmAimed at faculty and researchers from UW-Madison departments who are interested in identifying grant opportunities, but all researchers are welcome. The hands-on component includes 1-3 grants databases: Foundation Directory Online, COS Pivot, and Foundation Maps. Individuals seeking personal grants to fund their education should attend the “Grants for your Education” workshop. Printed materials will be available. Online versions are available below.
- Wednesday, October 19, 2016Citation Manager: EndNote for Macs12:00 pm-1:00 pmEndNote, a citation management database, is designed to help you import (from journal databases, etc.) collect, organize, and save bibliographic citations/references, and to insert citations directly into research papers using any one of hundreds of style formats. We will demo some of EndNote Web’s features too. You must bring your own Mac to this class.our manuscript.
- Wednesday, October 19, 20162016 Friends Semiannual Book Sale4:00 pmThe Friends of the UW-Madison Libraries Fall 2016 Book Sale will be Wednesday, Oct. 19, through Saturday, Oct. 22, in room 116 of the Memorial Library. Preview sales are held on the Wednesday before a scheduled sale, and require a $5 admission fee. Regular sales have no admission fee and run Thursday through Saturday, with the Saturday sale offering books at $4 per bag (bring your own bag).
See more events