College Library has a tradition of offering fun activities and treats for the thousands of students who take advantage of our space and services during final exams. With the COVID-19 pandemic disrupting normal activities, we are unable to offer our usual free coffee and 24/7 access, but we are repurposing some of our favorite finals events for the virtual realm. Beginning on Study Day (Friday, Dec. 11), College Library will share coloring pages, games, study tips, and photos of our favorite canines from Dogs on Call on social media in an effort to encourage students to #studystrong.
In the photo above, the Dogs on Call volunteer reveals that her dog Gretta “likes to cuddle my shoes when she’s anxious.” Her advice to you, “Don’t be a Gretta, you’ve got those finals – you’re prepared – you’ll do great! GOOD LUCK!!”
In addition to word of support and encouragement, College Library is available as a space to study for finals. While we all know it is best to stay “safer-at-home” during a pandemic, if you’re dealing with spotty Internet or rowdy roommates, apply to use the library’s Virtual Learning Room. The library is also extending its hours on Dec. 12 & 13, opening at 9 a.m. for those who would like to reserve a study space.
Highlights of our virtual finals events include:
- favorite coloring pages – healthy snowman, beet mitten, winter cabbage, Badger penguin
- photos from Dogs on Call
- study tips from our Pinterest page
- book recommendations from campus librarians
- a 2020 word find
We would also like to highlight the efforts of our campus partners this finals season:
- GUTS is still offering tutoring on Study Day. This year it will be virtual – and without the doughnuts traditionally available at College Library.
- The Wisconsin Union has organized a “Finals Frenzy” for 2020 with fun activities for those in Madison or checking in remotely. The Open Book Café, which is part of the Union, has given away free coffee, tea, and hot chocolate on the last day of classes for more than a decade. We look forward to the return of this giveaway!
- University Health Services, which donated “healthy snacks” to those studying at College Library in years past, has relaxation techniques available on Spotify.