Combined Astronomy, Mathematics, and Physics Library Project Update
The Libraries began work on the Astronomy, Mathematics, and Physics Libraries’ consolidation project in May 2019. This work will continue through 2020, resulting in a combined library, known as the Astronomy, Mathematics, and Physics (AMP) Library.
Library staff were busy in all three libraries over the summer. Collection work is still ongoing, but you may have noticed some changes in the Math and Astronomy Libraries. Here is what’s been done so far:
Woodman Astronomical Library:
- Approximately half of the collection has been reviewed for de-duplication.
Kleene Mathematics Library:
- Items being relocated to Verona Shelving Facility have been moved and are available by request.
- Materials being relocated to the AMP Library from the cutter, oversize, reference, and journal locations will be relocated during the week of Thanksgiving to minimize disruption to patrons in Math. These items will remain available to request.
- The remaining materials being relocated to the AMP Library will be moved over winter break, and will be available on shelves when the library opens in January.
- Items being relocated from the Physics Library to Verona Shelving Facility have been identified and are currently being shipped to their new location.
- Items being relocated from the Physics Library to the Science Libraries Shelving Facility have been relocated.
- De-duplication of Physics materials at Memorial Library is underway to identify additional discipline-specific materials to retain in the AMP Library.
Here’s an updated overview of the project timeline:
Open Libraries: Astronomy; Math
- Math Library is open for the fall 2019 semester.
- Math Library closes permanently December 23, 2019.
- Collections work will be done in the current Physics Library while that space is closed. We expect collections to remain requestable.
- Physics Library spaces will undergo a small renovation to better serve the combined audiences in Spring 2020.
Open Libraries: Astronomy Library; NEW! AMP(Astronomy, Mathematics and Physics) Library
- AMP Library, the combined library, re-opens in January 16, 2020 in the previous Physics Library space.
- Astronomy Library closes permanently May 15, 2020.
As this project moves forward, we will continue to provide you frequent communication. We encourage you to visit the combined AMP website, the Libraries’ websites for information about this transition including an FAQ page.
The Libraries are dedicated to maintaining a staff presence and continuing to provide robust library services. We believe this is an opportunity to update the current Physics Library and will provide more information on the timeline as additional detailed planning occurs.