Course Reserves

Students: Find Your Reserves

  • Print reserve readings can generally be checked out at the Circulation Desk for two hours.
  • Most electronic reserve readings can be accessed through the MyUW portal in the “My Coursesbox or in Learn@UW in the “Materialstab.
  • Some classes offer both electronic and print readings, and reserves may be kept at several libraries.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the library. We are happy to help. Please send questions or comments to Tom Durkin or call 262-7340.

Faculty and Instructors: Guidelines for Submitting Reserves

The Social Science Reference Library provides both an electronic reserves service and print reserves services for faculty, instructors, TAs, and other instructional staff who teach classes in the Social Science Building.

Print Reserves: Books

  1. Library Books: please submit a list of library-owned books to the librarian via email. The library will request the books from the campus libraries that own the books, and place them on reserve at the Social Science Library. (NOTE: In a few cases, some campus libraries will not lend their books for reserves. Those books must be placed on reserve only at the library of origin. The librarian will notify you if that is the case for your reserves book request.) If the campus libraries do not own the books now, we may be able to purchase new copies, but the budget is limited.
  2. Instructor’s and Departmental Books: please drop off personal copies of books at the Circulation Desk and fill out a green “Reserves Form.” (NOTE: all reserves are kept safely behind the circulation desk).
  3. Books can be given a 2 hour or 3 day reserve loan period.

Print Reserves: Paper Articles

  1. Make clean, single-sided, individually-paper clipped photocopies of the article or chapter readings to be placed on reserve.
  2. Please be sure to include source attribution on your paper copy. This would include at least the author, the book or journal title, the pages, and publication year. Anything already printed on the photocopy need not be repeated, and handwritten source attributions are perfectly fine.
  3. NOTE: The library cannot do photocopying due to the cost of the paper.
  4. Drop off the readings at at the Social Science Library’s Circulation Desk, and fill out the green “Reserves Form.”
  5. Like books, paper articles to be used for “hard copy reserve” can be given a 2 hour or 3 day reserve loan period.
  6. Or, your photocopies can also be used for scanning into e-reserves PDFs.

Electronic Reserves

For electronic reserves, the library staff will:

  1. We can scan your article photocopies or individual chapters from books and convert them into PDF files.
  2. We will submit them to the UW-Madison reserve database accessed through the MyUW portal.
  3. Students will be able to access the electronic reserve readings through their MyUW portal in the “My Coursesbox.
  4. Faculty/Instructors will be able to access the electronic reserve readings through their MyUW portal under the “Teaching” tab.
  5. Please allow at least 3-4 full days for processing electronic reserves.
    • NOTE: Due to copyright restrictions, when scanning from a book or journal issue, the library can only scan limited portions to comply with fair-use. Please consult with the librarian to make sure the portion you want to use is within the limitations.
    • NOTE: Due to copyright restrictions, the library is barred from scanning a list of articles that reproduces the same list of articles that make up a class reader bound and sold by the copy center.
    • Please consult these helpful web pages regarding copyright guidelines and fair-use.
    • UW-Madison Libraries Policy for Electronic Reserve Access to Copyright-Protected Materials: The libraries’ policy for providing access to copyright-protected materials through its electronic reserve service is derived from the fair use provisions of United States Copyright Act of 1976 (Title 17 of the United States Code). Section 107 of the Copyright Act expressly permits the fair use of copyrighted materials for teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, and research.

Contact Tom Durkin or call 262-7340 if you need more information regarding reserves services.