The best way to access licensed electronic resources is through the library website E-Resource Gateway, SFX E-Journals list or MadCat. If you want to use your own bookmarked URLs, this bookmarklet which will proxy licensed resources for you.
You may have found a database link from a search engine such as Google or received an email from your favorite database provider in your mailbox. If the url does not contain ezproxy.library.wisc.edu it will probably not work for you.
A url that will not work:
A url that will work:
By using the remote access bookmarklet you can identify yourself to the database provider as a valid UW-Madison user and gain access to licensed content. (Find out more about bookmarklets)
How to Install the Bookmarklet
- Internet Explorer
- Right click on this link UW-Madison Libraries Proxy Bookmarklet
- Select Add to Favorites… You may be prompted with a security alert. It is safe to click Yes to continue
- Safari and Chrome
- Click on and drag this link to your Bookmarks bar: UW-Madison Libraries Proxy Bookmarklet
- Right click on this link: UW-Madison Libraries Proxy Bookmarklet
- Select Bookmark This Link. Alternatively, click and drag the link to your Bookmarks toolbar
How to Use the Bookmarklet
If you have a database URL in your browser that doesn’t contain ezproxy.library.wisc.edu, you can identify yourself as a valid UW-Madison user by clicking on the remote access bookmarklet in your list of bookmarks. This will redirect you to a page where you can login with your NetID and gain access to licensed content.