Seasoned researchers know that planning research in the sciences is a complex process. It can range from developing a single line of inquiry to establishing a lab and research personnel infrastructure with an eye to the future.
Steenbock Librarians can work with you in searching for information to facilitate research planning along the continuum, or to point you to UW and other resources for program management.
Information and resources to develop your project
- Expert searching of and guidance in using databases for scientific papers, news/popular media, patents, actively funded research, for finding background material, possible collaborators, and identifying uncovered territory.
- Databases to locate sources of available extramural funding
- Develop your Data Management Plan
- Locating Laboratory Methods and Protocols
- Learn about new methods, analysis, and results relevant to your research in Journal of Visualized Experiments (JoVE), a peer reviewed scientific video journal
- Locating Animal Research Alternatives
- Use statistical analysis tools like SAS or GIS software available in the InfoLab
Other select sources of information
[See the Research Policy & Compliance Checklist for a comprehensive list of resources and activities involved with conducting and managing a safe and compliant research program]
Research Administration sites for CALS and SVM:
- School of Veterinary Medicine: http://www.vetmed.wisc.edu/research/
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences: http://research.cals.wisc.edu/
- The office of the VCRGE provides oversight and operational support for the entire UW Madison research enterprise, as well as the graduate school.
- Resources and programs to inform researchers of policy and to maintain compliance are provided through this office. Examples include:
- Animal Use and Care/Research Animal Resource Center
- Human Research Protections Program
- Research Ethics/Research Misconduct/Responsible Conduct of Research
- Conflict of Interest and Outside Activities reporting
- Policy and Compliance training in all of the above
- Research and Sponsored Programs provides resources for the oversight and management of extramural funding awards (grants) on the UW Madison campus, from proposal submission to award closeout. RSP is the principal conduit between research and research sponsors.
- RSP’s role is largely focused on the financial and business aspects of submitting and receiving extramural funding into the campus financial structure.
- RSP is a unit of the UW Madison Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration office.
- All schools and colleges have internal contacts for research grants management. Please consult http://www.rsp.wisc.edu/cnsrescont.html to find the contact(s) for your college or school.
- The mission of Environment, Health & Safety department (EH&S) is to ensure the health and safety of people, buildings, and the natural environment at UW-Madison and associated facilities.
- EH&S is a unit of the UW Madison Division of Facilities, Planning, and Management
- EH&S provides programs and resources for the safe conduct of research, and environmental safety in general. Examples include:
- Disposal of hazardous waste
- Personal protective equipment
- Biological, chemical, and radiation safety
- Animal research safety and hazards
- Lab safety guidance/ regulations (equipment, hazards training, materials safety, etc)
- Fire & Life safety