Librarians can assist you with speaking to the requirements of your funding agency for a demonstration of the broader impacts of your work–your engagement with our larger community of scholars, practitioners and general public.
Speak to Requirements of Funding Agency – Public Access Compliance and Broader Impacts
- NSF (summary provided by Ebling Library) ; Broader Impacts
- NIH and Public Access Policy | FAQs | Manuscript Submission System
Additional federal agency policies that have been developed in response to the memorandum (issued February 2013) from the Office of Science and Technology are summarized in an Ebling Library research guide to Federal Agency Public Access Compliance.
Discover Preparation & Training Opportunities
- Wisconsin Idea STEM Fellows Program, NSF, Portal to the Public Helps researchers and STEM professionals share science with the public, promoting appreciation and understanding of current science research. Program is supported, locally, by members of the Science Alliance.
- Delta Program–Courses, Events, Programs Provides professional development opportunities for faculty in STEM disciplines (and more) to translate instruction into outreach as part of its mission to advance effective teaching practices for diverse student audiences. (The Delta Program is a project of the Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)).
- Madison Teaching and Learning Excellence, Professional Development for Early Career Faculty
Communicate Your Work through Campus and Community Media Channels
- Blue Sky Science (Morgridge Institute for Research and Wisconsin State Journal)
- Experts Guide, University Communications
- Speaker’s Bureau, UW-Madison
- Inside UW-Madison (employee e-newsletter)
- Science Narratives, UW-Madison
- UWMadScience, University Communications
Translate your Research into a Public Outreach Experience (Alumni, K-12, General Public)
- Alumni (and Community) Learning Programs, UW-Madison
Includes: Global Hot Spot Series, Made in Wisconsin, UW Showcase Series, Grandparents University, Wednesday Nite @ the Lab
- Discovery Outreach Programs, Morgridge Institute for Research
Includes: Afterschool Expeditions, Crossroads of Ideas, Saturday Science, Science Cafes, Wisconsin Science Festival
- Adult Role Models in Science (ARMS), WIScience
Opportunities for mentoring K-12 students.
Network with Campus and Community Partners
- Morgridge Center for Public Service Connects students and faculty to local and global communities, building partnerships to solve critical issues through service and learning.
- Citizen Science
Library research guide to the research and practice of citizen science–with links locally to projects and opportunities through which to recruit volunteers.
- Discovery Portal, Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF)
UW-Madison Researcher Directory
- Discovery to Product, UW-Madison, WARF
Facilitates collaboration and entrepreneurship–moving innovation/technology to market.
Document Your Impact
- Documenting Your Social Media (Alternative Metrics)
Social Media Strategy Template, Fast Track Impact
- “Evidencing Impacts from Public Engagement”
Mark Reed, Fast-Track Impact Guide, November 22, 2017