College Library, in conjunction with the Undergraduate Symposium, invites students to apply for its annual Undergraduate Library Research Awards. The awards celebrate excellence and creativity in using the library to complete an undergraduate research project. (Examples may include a literature review for a lab study, the use of primary sources in a historical research paper, or the background research for a creative arts project).
Up to three Library Research Awards and one Research in Progress Award will be presented at the Undergraduate Symposium. (The Research in Progress Award is intended for projects that will not be completed before the award deadline). Winners of Library Research Awards receive a cash prize of $300. The winner of the Research in Progress Award receives a cash prize of $150.
(Please note: The Financial Aid Office may need to modify your aid package if you were to receive outside aid, such as this cash prize).
The deadline to apply for the 2013 library research awards will be April 5, 2013.
How to Apply–the process:
1. Meet with Kelli Keclik at College Library or with Jessica Newman at Steenbock Library OR attend a drop-in information session to review and discuss your research.
2. Reflect on the various tools and strategies used to locate relevant materials.
3. Review the sample essay and then write a 600-800 word essay describing your research experience, noting the successes, difficulties, and surprises you encountered.
4. Submit an application, a statement of faculty support, a final version of your project, and the essay.
Drop-in information sessions will be offered at College and Steenbock Libraries during the following days/times:
- Monday, March 18, 4:00-5:00 PM, College Library, 1st floor center
- Tuesday, March 19, 5:00-6:00 PM, Steenbock Library
- Tuesday, April 2, 5:00-6:00 PM, College Library, 1st floor center
- Wednesday, April 3, 7:00-8:00 PM, Steenbock Library