The latest annual Journal Citation Reports (JCR) data have been released by Thomson Reuters (formerly ISI):
- Science Edition = data from 7,300+ journals in science and technology
- Social Sciences Edition = data from 2,200+ journals in the social sciences
JCR is one tool for comparing journals, in order to find the most frequently-cited or highest “impact” journals in a field, for example. It is available only via online annual subscription ($8,704 in 2010), which the UW-Madison Libraries provide. All of the data come from journal articles published in a given “JCR year.” For example, if you select 2009 and choose a particular journal, you will see:
- Number of articles published in the journal in 2009;
- Number of citations to that journal from articles published in 2009;
- Impact Factor calculated from 2009 data; etc.
For more information: