At UW-Madison, an owner or instructor of a course site can add a librarian within the Canvas learning management system. The resources on this site describe how to add a librarian in the “Librarian” role in Canvas.
About the Librarian Role in Canvas
Adding a librarian in the “Librarian” role in Canvas can help the course instructor and the librarian collaborate more efficiently. In the “Librarian” role a librarian can:
- Access course materials
- Add research guides content
- Post to the announcements and discussion areas
- Add to course content
A librarian in the “Librarian” role cannot see the list of enrolled students or other protected information such as grades.
If you would like to add a librarian to your course site, contact your subject librarian, or go to the Request Instruction (online or in-person) Form to request an embedded librarian.
How to add a librarian to a Canvas course site
An instructor can add a librarian to course site the same way that they would add any other individual not on the official roster.
- On the People page for the site, select the +People button.
- In the Add People text box, enter the librarian’s University of Wisconsin-Madison email address.
- Select Librarian from the Role menu.
- Select Next.
- Select Add User and then Done to return to the list of people who have access to the site.
For more details and instructions view the Canvas KB page.