Library Operations – What You Need to Know
*UPDATED JUNE 9, 2021
*As policies and practices change based on information from Campus and Dane County, we will update key information here as it relates to what you can expect when you visit the Libraries. Please visit this site frequently for updates.
Welcome to Summer 2021! After a year of significant change, we want to provide updated information on Libraries’ operations and what you can expect this summer (May 17-August 6).
Here’s what you need to know about Summer 2021
Beginning Monday, June 14
Library by Appointment
- Starting on Monday, June 14, most library services will no longer require an appointment, including access to collections, study spaces, small-group study, computer labs, printing, and scanning. Appointments already scheduled for after June 13 will still be honored.
- Reservations for 1-person study rooms (reservable study rooms) will continue to be required.
Access to locations
- Community access to physical spaces will be announced later this month.
- Building capacity, room capacity, and the number of seats will gradually increase but campus physical distancing rules will still be followed.
- For entry, users must have a Wiscard
Access to collections
- Library stacks will be open and will not require an appointment.
- Hold shelves will reopen at several locations. Due to positive patron feedback, Pickup by Appointment will continue to be an option at Memorial and Steenbock for the foreseeable future
We encourage the continued use of our virtual and online services:
- Ask a Librarian
- Support services for instructional continuity
- Remote library services and resources
- Interlibrary Loan
As of Wednesday, June 2, health and safety requirements have been updated to align with campus policies.
- Face coverings are no longer required for fully vaccinated people within library locations. Unvaccinated people should continue to wear face coverings indoors.
- Individuals are welcome to continue wearing face coverings. Individual masking choices should not be interpreted as an indicator of vaccinated/unvaccinated status.
- Eating and drinking are again allowed in most library spaces that permitted food and drink pre-COVID.
- The indoor physical distancing requirement continues to be 6 feet.
Visit go.wisc.edu/libraries2021 for updates.
- Libraries will be closed Mon, May 31 (Memorial Day), Sun, Jul 4 (Independence Day) & Mon, Jul 5 (Independence Day observed)
|May 17-Aug 6: Summer Classes|
|Mon – Fri||Noon-9pm M-R; Noon-5pm F||9am-5pm||9am-5pm|
For hours related to other locations, please visit: www.library.wisc.edu/locations
Online robust support services
- Ask a Librarian – instant chat or text service during staffed hours (Mon-Fri 9 am-5 pm); email responses within 24 hours Monday-Friday
- Reference, liaison consultations with librarians for research and course support, library instruction, and course instructor support
- Course reserves linked in Canvas
- Appointments can be made for online consultations or onsite consultation if mediated assistance in the library is needed by contacting Ask a Librarian.