Librarians are always available to answer questions and help you with your research.
Getting Help from Librarians
- Most of the libraries on campus have reference desks that are staffed during open hours. Stop by the reference desk to talk to a librarian in person. You can see when each library is open by navigating to the UW-Madison Libraries homepage and clicking on the “Library Hours” link below the search box.
- You can also visit the Ask a Librarian webpage to see other ways to get help. From this page, you have several options:
- You can email the libraries with a question, and usually receive a response within 24 hours. Click the “Email” link on the right side of the page.
- You can call (608-263-3193) or text (608-729-7886) a librarian at a reference desk. Click the “Call/Text” link at the right side of the page to see direct phone numbers for specific campus libraries.
- You can make an appointment to meet with someone in person. Click the “Appointment” link on the right side of the page.
- You can send a chat message to a librarian anytime from 8:00am until 11:00pm. Click the blue “Chat Now” button in the center of the page to open a chat window. You will need to type in your question and press “Enter” before the librarian receives the message.
- Research guides are collections of resources put together by librarians. They are organized by subject area.
- Research guides can be excellent places to start when you begin learning about or researching a topic.
- There are two types of research guides:
- Course guides are created for a specific course and customized for the course topic and assignments.
- Subject guides are guides on a subject, topic, or type of resource.
- To access research guides:
- On the UW-Madison Libraries homepage, click the “Help” link in the upper navigation bar.
- Select “Research Guides” from the list.
- You can select “Subject Guides” to view guides separated into subject areas. If you select a subject you will find all of the related guide. You can use the “Search All Research Guides” bar at the bottom of the research guides page to search for a guide by name, course name, topic or theme.