Changes to the top 10 Databases list are recorded here for one semester after the changes are made.
January 17, 2017
- According to the ARL FY2016 stats worksheet, ScienceDirect is the most heavily-used publisher databases on campus. In 2015, there were more than 1.5 million full text article requests.
- ScienceDirect, in addition to having journal articles and other material that is traditionally included in a Top 10 database, also includes over 5000 e-books from Elsevier. Due to end of year backfile discount, an order was recently placed to add an additional 11,000 ebooks. With heavy usage, ScienceDirect would be the first database that would feature a sizeable amount of e-books in addition to journal articles and other secondary sources.
- While not a direct replacement, ScienceDirect would help maintain some content coverage in the sciences that Engineering Village would have previously covered.
- Scopus has been a “highlighted database” on the Top 10 Databases page, where it has received more clicks (according to the Task Force’s heatmaps) than several other databases on the list.
- Low amount of usage, both from the Top 10 page and in general when compared with the other Top 10 databases suggests that this database does not perform as well (or get as many ‘clicks’) from the Top 10 Databases page.
Proquest Research Library
- PRL’s subscription was recently cancelled and will no longer be available to UW-Madison library patrons as of early 2017.