Spring 2021 Updates at UW Archives
Access and Hours
From January 4 – January 24, most library locations will have limited services. Ask a Librarian will continue to be remotely available Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–5 p.m. At University Archives, our operating hours will be Tuesday-Thursday, 1 pm- 4 pm.
For your visit:
- Appointments required for visiting reading room
Face coverings are required to enter the building; those unable to wear a mask can take advantage of our remote services. Visit the UW Libraries face coverings guidelines to learn more.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the reading room
Individuals must be in compliance with the campus health and safety program to enter library facilities. For more information, visit the campus Spring Semester 2021 Overview page
- Beginning January 25, campus is doing a soft roll out of the Badger Badge program. Read more here about how this impacts your use of the libraries.
- Parking is available at the Lot 36 ramp which is entered off Observatory Drive. Accessible spaces and ramp to the library entrance are available. More parking information.
- Upon arrival at Steenbock Library for your appointment, please follow these directions:
- Approach the front entrance of Steenbock Library, located at 550 Babcock Drive.
- Outside the entrance of the library is an A-frame sign. Stand by that sign. A library staff person will open the door, confirm that you have a reservation, and let you in the entrance when it is your turn. They will also provide a handout for your visit.
- You will be directed to the University Archives for additional check-in procedures.
Library by Appointment Services
Appointments can be made by all UW-Madison faculty, staff, and students, using the appointment request application below. Please read through our guidelines prior to visiting.
Go here to start an appointment request.
- Select the library.
- Note any specific information about services that are relevant to your visit.
- Note any specific instructions for arriving for your appointment and entering the library.
- Select a date and time to enter the library.
- Answer all questions on the form, including the estimated length of your visit.
- Submit your appointment.
You will receive an email message confirming your appointment that includes library specific information and instructions. Please plan on bringing your own laptop or tablet to avoid use of public computers.
Please don’t come to the library without an appointment or before requesting materials through your Archives and Special Collections Account. We must ensure we are meeting physical distancing guidelines, and are working carefully to ensure scheduled times allow for minimal contact for all involved.
All reading room services are contingent upon availability of staff and all building services may not be supported.
During your appointment, supported services include:
- view materials in reading room at designated tables
- limited self-service scanning (including use of mobile devices)
- onsite research assistance
At this time, we are NOT able to support:
- printing services
- copy machines
- computing support
- microfilm access
- duplication services by staff (exceptions may apply)
The Archives staff can provide limited course support. Please contact us for additional information.