Strategic Planning Goal 7 – Budget Flexibilities
Goal 7: Increase budget flexibilities to meet Library priorities
Metrics: 1) Increase the number of discretionary dollars available for strategic priorities; 2) Increase new money generated through donations, revenue, grants, etc.
- Realign overall allocations
- Establish priorities for fundraising and development
- Identify revenue generation opportunities in the Libraries
What has been accomplished
- GLS was able to accomplish the $1.1 million in budget cuts during fiscal years 15-17 without any layoffs. $1 million of this cut came from the personnel line.
- Wendt Commons and Wisconsin Tech Search (WTS) were merged with GLS on July 1, 2016. WTS is a revenue-generating operation and revenue from WTS has been able to lend support to the Innovation fund for several years and also assisted with large one-time purchases for Collections.
- Continual monitoring of student expenditures has led to a realignment of funds allowing each AUL to have additional student funds to allocate as needed in their units.
- The Libraries have increased its activity around grants over the course of this strategic plan. This includes being part of more than $1.2M in grant funding from campus and external sources.
- The Executive Team, in collaboration with the Development Director, identified fundraising priorities. These priorities now need to be revisited with a new Vice Provost and University Librarian as well as a new Development Director. GLS also launched the fundraising initiative for personalizing a card catalog drawer. Funds from this development effort will assist with renovating spaces.
Things we decided not to do
- We could not permanently reallocate dollars from the personnel line to the collections budget after taking $1 million in cuts to the personnel line.
Yet to be accomplished
- Sustained increases in donor revenues.
- Better organization around planning and applying for grant funds.