University Library Committee

Ask a Librarian

April 14, 2004

Present: Baughman, Buckett, Kleinhenz, Lundin, Roper, Zimmerman

Ex Officio: Frazier, Braithwaite

Others:Barkan, Burton, Carr, Guthrie, Kruse, Murray, Null, Owens, Reeb, Rider, Van Gemert

1. Introductions and Announcements

A. Ken Frazier asked Robin Rider (Curator of Special Collections, Memorial Library) to give a brief description of the current Department of Special Collections exhibit. Entitled “Layers of Knowledge: Illustrated Books from the Historical Collections, Health Sciences Libraries and Special Collections, Memorial Library”, Robin described this exhibit as one which cuts across a variety of medical and scientific fields in exploring the depiction of layers in book illustrations. The exhibit is a cooperative effort drawing on the resources of the History of Medicine Collections at the Middleton Health Sciences Library and the Department of Special Collections in Memorial Library. This exhibit is in conjunction with the annual meetings of the American Association for the History of Medicine and the Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences (April 29-May 2; April 28-April 29). Micaela Sullivan-Fowler (Curator of the History of Medicine Collections at Middleton Health Sciences Library) and Robin Rider will also host gallery lectures and a reception for attendees of the AAHM and ALHHS annual meetings. The exhibit will run through June 30, 2004.

B. Ken asked Anne Lundin to speak about some of her committee work. Anne is a member of the Campus Planning Committee and wanted to alert ULC members to an upcoming project, which may be of special interest to campus libraries. The Robert E. Gard Foundation and the UW Administration have partnered to begin preservation work on the “Muir Knoll” and the Muir Woods. There is $270,000 for this project and preliminary planning calls for stages of renovating the “Muir Knoll” observation platform and reconstructing trails to minimize erosion. Of interest to libraries is the possibility of the “Muir Knoll” serving as an arena for various campus and library activities in the future.

No additional announcements.

2. Reports from campus library directors.

Ed Van Gemert (Public Services & Member Libraries)

Ed wanted to let members know that the GLS was in the process of forming two search and screen committees, one for the Head of Public Services at Memorial Library and the other for Head of Acquisitions in Central Technical Services also at Memorial Library. Ed also mentioned current investigations into the idea of hosting a library presence on the UW Alumni Web site. Primarily focused on looking for content that is of interest to UW Alum's, there is also some discussion of having a value-added login for those who would like access to UW licensed products and services.

Terry Burton (Health Sciences Library)

Reiterating some of Natalie Norcross's comments from the last ULC meeting Terry confirmed the closing dates for Middleton Library as May 29 th through June 20 th. While there might be limited pieces of service, for all intents the collection will be “shrink wrapped” and inaccessible during the move. Most likely the last check out date for materials will be May 24, 2004. Terry also noted that Health Sciences Library is hiring for several new positions. The positions include a Document Delivery Services Coordinator, a Distance Services and Outreach Librarian, a Historical Services Librarian, an Information Architecture Librarian and a Reference and User Services Coordinator.

Carrie Kruse (College Library)

Carrie reported that College Library is revaluating its reserves collection. Traditionally a semi-permanent collection, items in the past have remained in reserves until faculty asked for them to be removed. Recent investigation of some of these titles revealed that there were some reserve items placed there for professors who no longer work at the University. Focusing on a more active reserves collection, titles will be reviewed on an annual basis and placed back in the general collection unless otherwise indicated by faculty. Carrie also commented on e-reserves, which has been restructured at the UW to go through the My UW Portal. The intent here is to restrict use to “official course users” and thereby be in compliance with language and law contained in the Teach Act. While the UW has a reputation for liberal interpretation of fair use, this restructuring of IP access to licensed materials for authorized users places us more in line with copyright requirements. Carrie noted that the University of California-San Diego has been threatened with litigation recently over their e-reserves policies, which more liberally allow access to materials to individuals outside of course attendance restrictions. Curiously, San Diego claims to be following the “Wisconsin Model” of access for users. In fact, that may not be the case with a restructuring that requires access to course material on e-reserves through the MY UW Portal. Carrie ended by saying that study and evaluation of the reserves policy would continue. Ken F. also noted that the intent here is to avoid infringement but to protect fair use.

Steve Barkan (Law Library)

Nothing to report.

Tom Murray (Wendt Library)

Nothing to report.

David Null took this opportunity to announce to ULC membership that the UW Archives is actively seeking the donation of faculty papers for its collections. He wanted to get the word out to faculty that contrary to rumors UW Archives is interested in collecting faculty documents and collections.

Ken Frazier also wanted to announce that this week the University of Wisconsin African Studies Program was hosting the African Literature Association 30 th anniversary conference (April 14th-April 18th). While most conference activity would take place at the Pyle Center there is a reception planned at Memorial Library at 4:30 pm on Friday April 16 th. Ken also noted that three GLS librarians were participating in the conference.


3. Planning for the future of the Middleton Library building-discussion item.

Ken led off the discussion with a brief description of the master campus plan, which ultimately calls for the demolition of the Middleton Health Sciences Library and its conversion to green space. He then turned over the discussion to Chris Kleinhenz who has recently been talking with Nick Doane on this subject. Chris observed that converting the Middleton building to green space is not the best use of this space or location. Resolving that the building should be saved as library space what could the space be used for? While compact shelving will take up the basement floor what use might the top floors get? Chris suggests that a discreet library collection would be a possibility. Specifically an Asian or East Asian library, some early indications and discussions with faculty show they are supportive of the idea.

Such a library would also permit a “named library” opportunity, encouraging support of alumni in planning and implementation. Chris acknowledged the problems of GLS staffing and support for such a library but also mentioned that this could be ameliorated with sufficient endowment support. It would be a space for seminars, lectures and visiting scholars. He also pointed out that moving the Asian collections to the new library would free up space in Memorial Library. Chris then asked the committee how we should proceed?

Anne Lundin felt this was a splendid idea.

Ken Frazier was interested to know if there was any constituency that wanted to tear down the Middleton Library?

Sandra Guthrie noted that she is on the Campus Planning Committee and there has been no mention of demolishing Middleton.

Tom Murray wanted to know what shape the building was in? And how would it last over the next 30 years? Terry Burton answered that all in all, it was in pretty good shape. It would need some work if another library were planned for the space (some water leakage).

There was some speculation on the Middleton name and its relation to the existing building. Terry Burton indicated that it is likely that the Middleton name will be attached to the History of Medicine Collections within the new Ebling Library.

After further discussion Chris Kleinhenz then made a motion that the University Library Committee endorse the idea of using the Middleton Health Sciences Building upper floors in some way as library space. The ULC annual report should reflect the feeling that Middleton should be used for library purposes with the support of faculty and the academic community. Terry Roper seconded the motion.

Jim Baughman then asked how full the facility would get with the inclusion of the Asian collections?

Ken Frazier offered a final comment stating that staffing a library at the Middleton location would be the greatest challenge, but he had no difficulty with proceeding with the plan of preserving the building.

4. Looking ahead to the 2004-2005 academic year-identifying priorities.

Ken Frazier observed the following upcoming events, existing priorities and the impact they will have on GLS work.

A. Tom Murray, the extremely successful director of Wendt Engineering Library for 16 years, is retiring. Tom has also been a very important representative on the Council of University of Wisconsin Libraries.

B. Duplication of resources across campus.

1. Duplication of journal collections has been somewhat controlled through budget restrictions.

2. Purchase of electronic facsimiles via backfile runs is an issue. How much content can we afford to re-buy? Any duplication that goes beyond the essential is very problematic.

3. Duplication Report for campus libraries will be released mid summer.

C. High speed delivery of articles has and is being tested and used in 4 libraries. Eventually this will be going campus wide.

D. The Parents Enrichment Fund has been very successful. More than $400,000 has been raised and earmarked for libraries to improve services to students.

E. The big Health Sciences Library move. (Burton noted a new online training tool that is in development).

F. Moving materials to the Middleton Storage Facility. Ken asked Richard Reeb to speak briefly on this. Richard reported that a committee of five members has concluded that serial volumes, which are duplicated in electronic format, would be the most likely and favorable materials to store. Specifically JSTOR and ProjectMUSE volumes, the committee is currently working on extracting a list of titles campus wide. Next will be the physical measurement of volumes to determine how much would actually be moved to fill the 28,000 linear feet of shelf space.

Chris Kleinhenz has concerns about ProjectMUSE titles, as the electronic versions are not as accurate or complete as the print volumes. He wants this acknowledged, but realizes with the print volumes being accessible to users this should be sufficient coverage. Chris also has concerns about what other materials might go to the facility? Ken replied that there were no other candidates for storage at this point. Ken will inform faculty of any future candidates for storage in Middleton.

Ken then called for future ULC agenda items.

Jo Ann Carr informed the committee that the Madison School and Community Education Library (MSCEL) is now open to the public. In an effort to increase access to their materials for the University community, Nolan Pope and Jo Ann have agreed to meet with the MSCEL staff to discuss adding their cataloging records to MadCat. Initial investigation of this request shows that there are major discrepancies in cataloging practice between the campus and MSCEL, and that some collaborative cataloging activity will need to take place to increase access to these materials for the University community.

Ed Van Gemert wanted to mention the closer working ties with the Wisconsin Historical Society. Addressing Interlibrary Loan, Ed noted that GLS has been pulling materials for in-state lending and that it may soon start processing the out of state lending as well. Ed also mentioned existing desktop delivery of data in relationship to how we do things now and what services users might expect in the future.

5. Library efforts to promote change in scholarly communications-Ken Frazier.

Ken led off the discussion by first distributing a one page hand out that focused on the budget increase for acquisitions and also contained a Draft Resolution of the ULC to the Faculty Senate. Ken acknowledged the $400,000 increase to the base budget for the General Library System, but he made it clear that this doesn't keep pace with inflation. While we will continue to buy core materials that are essential to our users we can't keep up with commercial providers increasing prices. At the same time it has become very clear that the UW campus administration cannot afford to fund the cost increases either. The only way to bridge the gap is for us to promote the reform of scholarly communication. Ken called special attention to the recent University of California senate resolution against Elsevier, which was subsequently printed in the New York Times. He stated that after the article appeared Elsevier's stock actually dropped. Opening the discussion to the committee Ken asked what ULC's position was on this?

Several comments followed including the observation that this was nothing new, but what was needed is our willingness to align with institutions fighting commercial publishers. More determined action is needed with an endorsement from the faculty, which is essential. It was mentioned that Provost Spear will be interested in this and could help move it along with the administration. It was also stated that comments and suggestions be sought from those who were not present at the meeting. It was ultimately suggested that the Draft Resolution of the ULC to the Faculty Senate be included in the ULC annual report with the idea that this should be placed on the Senate agenda for action in the fall of 2004. David Musolf could see that this occurs.

6. Annual Report of the ULC.

A draft report of the ULC will be distributed to the membership for their comments and feedback via email. The report is needed soon so this is the most efficient and timely way of handling it. If no comments are received the draft will move forward as the annual report.

Next Meeting. Do we need another meeting this academic year? May 5 th or May 12 th were mentioned as possible dates but no one spoke up. Ken and Jim decided to leave it open and will discuss the possibility of meeting in May via email polling.

No other business and meeting adjourned.

My Accounts arrowarrow