EndNote Basic, formerly EndNote Web and also referred to as EndNote Online, is free for anyone to use. It is an online citation manager that can be used on its own, or in conjunction with, EndNote Desktop, which is a more robust application available for purchase. For affiliates of UW-Madison, EndNote Basic comes with a wider variety of bibliographic styles, as well as other features.
To see the differences between EndNote Basic and EndNote Desktop, please see this comparison information from EndNote. Check the box reading “I Have Web of Science” to see the features for campus affiliates.
Create an Account
- Login to EndNote Basic
- Click SIGN UP FOR AN ACCOUNT
- Enter the required information on the left hand side of the menu, including a Login Name and Password
- Read terms and click I AGREE
Using EndNote Basic from Off Campus (Roaming Access)
In order to use EndNote Basic off-campus, you must first register and login from an IP authenticated workstation. This confirms that you are a valid UW-Madison user and initiates Roaming Access for twelve months. After twelve months, you are required to login again from an IP authenticated workstation to re-establish your affiliation with UW-Madison and to restore access to styles, filters and online connections. If your account was set up at a different institution, contact ISI to change your affiliation to UW-Madison.
- Access Web of Science from a campus computer
- Click SIGN IN in the horizontal menu at the top of the page
- Enter your EndNote Basic login and password
- You will know you have signed in if you see “Signed In” in the horizontal menu at the top
- Click ENDNOTE on the top menu to access your account
- This resets your roaming access for one year
- Click the OPTIONS tab, then click ACCOUNT INFORMATION to track your roaming access
Building Your Reference Library
|From…||…into EndNote Basic|
|ISI Web of Science||
|Other Article Databases||Import Formats (EndNote Web help)
Transferring References To/From EndNote Web (FAQS: EndNote Web – Import)
|Google Scholar||How can I import references from Google Scholar? (FAQS: EndNote Web – Import)|
Search the EndNote Basic (EndNote Online) knowledge base.