Find background information
- Look your topic up in encyclopedias or try your favorite search engine online. What you find won't necessarily be something you cite in your paper, but it can give you inspiration for the next steps in your research!
- Look for clues that can help you search the library's resources, like:
- Special words used to describe or talk about your topic
- Names of authors or researchers who know a lot about your topic
- Citations for books and articles you might want to look up in UW Madison's search tools
- Information needed to clearly identify an item. For a book, this includes the author, title, place of publication, publisher, and year. For an article, this includes, the author, title of article, title of source, volume number, pages, and date.