The UW-Libraries’ Charity Knitting and Crocheting group has migrated to a new location for the warmer months—the Terrace! Join organizer Ellen Jacks (Grants and Reference Librarian) and the group for a little fun in the sun as you knit or crochet for a cause.
The group’s main project this summer will be making a variety of comfort scarves that will be distributed to a local shelter for abused women by Handmade Especially for You; the local chapter of this non-profit is run by Lois Anderson from the UW-Foundation. Finished scarves are about 5 inches wide and 60 inches long—perfect dimensions for learning to knit or crochet or learning a new stitch. You are welcome to work on a comfort scarf or your favorite charity project.
This summer, there will be two opportunities to participate. The group meets for a lunchtime session on Wednesdays at noon, and starting on June 21st the group will also meet on Fridays at 5:15pm for a “Stitchers with Pitchers” get-together. Look for the group near the big orange chair on the top level of the terrace.
You don’t have to be an expert to come—beginners are welcome! A small selection of yarn, needles, hooks, and patterns will be provided, but feel free to bring your own as well.
At a glance:
- Who: You!
- What: Charity Knitting and Crocheting group / Stitchers with Pitchers
- When: Wednesdays at 12:00-1:00pm / Fridays (Starting June 21) at 5:15pm
- Where: Memorial Union Terrace – Rain location: Inside at Lakefront on Langdon
- Why: Fun, friends, and contributing to a good cause
- “Hook up” with the group on their brand new Facebook page—you’ll find updates, info on past and current projects, and downloadable patterns
- Not on Facebook? No worries! Check out the publicly accessible MyWebspace page
- If you can’t make it but still want to help, you can donate completed scarves (or other finished objects), yarn, or ribbons for wrapping. Donations can be dropped off at Memorial Library 262A or bring them by the terrace during one of the sessions.
Contact Ellen Jacks for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org