The Winter Festival of Poetry is a Madison tradition. For more than 25 years, the Wisconsin Fellowship of Poets, which has about 500 members across the state, has sponsored the series, scheduling local poets to read their work on Sunday afternoons throughout the winter months. This year, a number of Parallel Press authors and advisers are participating in the series, which began on January 20th and runs through March 10th.
In addition to six local poets, each reading also hosts a student poet from the spoken word program at UW’s First Wave Hip Hop and Urban Arts Learning Community. In past years, events were hosted by Avol’s Books, which has since merged with A Room of One’s Own, another local bookstore, so this year the series debuted at a new venue. Readings are held from 2-3:30 pm at The Fountain Restaurant & Bar on State Street. A listing for upcoming events in the series is included below.
Parallel Press connections are linked to their Library profiles or author pages on the Parallel Press website for more information on their publications.
At a Glance:
- What: Winter Festival of Poetry
- When: Sundays, 2-3:30 PM
- Where: Fountain Restaurant & Bar, 122 State St.
Winter Festival of Poetry lineup:
- February 3, 2013: Martha Kaplan, Alice D’Alessio, Dan Graveley, Katrin Talbot, John Lehman, Judith Zukerman.
- February 10, 2013: Gillian Nevers, Catherine Jagoe, Greg Markee, Brent Christianson, Evie Robillard, Lori Lipsky.
- February 17, 2013: Andrea Potos, Steve Fortney, Margaret Benbow, Lenore Coberly, Richard Merelman, Rosemary Zurlo-Cuva.
- February 24, 2013: Jeri McCormick, Marilyn Annucci, Richard Roe, Andrea Musher, Guy Thorvaldsen, Linda Voit.
- March 3, 2013: F. J. Bergmann, Mary Rowin, Tim Walsh, Marilyn Taylor, Dave Scheler, Brenda Lempp.
- March 10, 2013: Sara Parrell, Ron Czerwein, Lisa Cihlar, Coral Bishop, Peg Sherry, Gordon Glass.