About My AccountYour library catalog account is your record of the items you have checked out. Use this service to:
- view due dates
- renew items*
- view the status of library requests
- view current fines or fees
- pay fines online
Signing In / OutSelect My Accounts and Library Catalog at the upper right of Library Catalog screens, or Sign In, as shown below.
UW-Madison affiliates log in with a UW-Madison NetID. Other UW-Madison card holders (without NetIDs) should use My MadCat Account. Close your web browser to ensure that you have signed out of your library account and other campus services that may be open.
Renewing ItemsTo extend the loan of an item you have checked out, often you may renew it. Select the item(s) to be renewed, and click Renew. Note: To renew multiple items quickly, and to renew UW System (non-UW-Madison) items, use My MadCat Account.
Verify Your Renewal
Be sure to check the status message to see if the item(s) has been renewed. If the item status does not read 'renewed', one of the following occurred:
- You have reached the renewal limit
- The item you want to renew is not eligible for renewal
- You are trying to renew the item too early (this applies to semester loans)
Items that cannot be renewed include:
- Items that have reached renewal limit
- Items that have been recalled by another user
- Reserve materials
If you have questions or would like more information, contact the Circulation Office in Memorial Library at (608) 263-7360, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
When May I Renew?
UW-Madison faculty, staff and graduate students with semester loans may request renewals about four weeks prior to the due date.
Undergraduates and other patrons with 28-day loans may renew at any time, however, waiting until the due date to renew results in the maximum extended loan period.
Requested Items and Status MessagesThe Requested Items section will list all items currently requested from UW-Madison and other UW System libraries.
After placing a request, brief messages in your account will update you on the status of your request:
Common Status Messages:
- Accepted - The library catalog acknowledges the receipt of your request (appears just after you place the request).
- Printed - Library staff acknowledges the receipt of your request and the request is now in process.
- In Transit - The requested item is currently being transferred from one library to another.
- Filled - The request has been filled, but the item is not ready for pick-up. You will receive an email alerting you that the item is being held for you at the library you selected.
- Not Filled - The request cannot be filled. See the reason listed. Call 608-263-7360 if you have further questions, or Ask a Librarian.
- Recall - You have recalled this item from another patron. The patron will be notified that someone has requested the item and the patron will be assigned a new (earlier) due date.
- Cancelled - You have cancelled your request or you have not picked up the item in the allotted time period.
Items Available for Pickup
The requested title will now appear in the Items Available for Pickup section. You will receive an email when the item is actually ready for pickup. Please wait for the email notification as some items may still be in transit.
Recalled ItemsAn item you have checked out may be recalled by another patron if another copy is unavailable at UW-Madison or another UW System library.
- The original due date will be changed and you will be notified about returning the item early (you are guaranteed a checkout of at least 14 days)
- In your Library Catalog Account, the item's status will be listed as Recall Request
- You may not renew an item that has been recalled by another patron
Blocked AccountsYou may be blocked from logging in to your Library Catalog Account, placing requests, or accessing specific databases through the Libraries. Some reasons for a blocked account are:
- An item you have checked out has been recalled by another patron, and is now overdue
- There are three or more lost items on your record (from UW-Madison and/or other UW System libraries)