About My AccountYour library catalog account is your record of the items you have checked out. Use this service to:
- view due dates
- renew items*
- view the status of library requests
- view current fines or fees
- pay fines online
Signing In / OutSelect My Accounts and Library Catalog at the upper right of Library Catalog screens, or Sign In, as shown below. UW-Madison affiliates log in with a UW-Madison NetID. Other UW-Madison card holders (without NetIDs) should use My MadCat Account. Close your web browser to ensure that you have signed out of your library account and other campus services that may be open.
Renewing ItemsTo extend the loan of an item you have checked out, often you may renew it. Select the item(s) to be renewed, and click Renew. Note: To renew multiple items quickly, and to renew UW System (non-UW-Madison) items, use My MadCat Account.
Verify Your Renewal
Be sure to check the status message to see if the item(s) has been renewed. If the item status does not read 'renewed', one of the following occurred:
- You have reached the renewal limit
- The item you want to renew is not eligible for renewal
- You are trying to renew the item too early (this applies to semester loans)
Items that cannot be renewed include:
- Items that have reached renewal limit
- Items that have been recalled by another user
- Reserve materials
If you have questions or would like more information, contact the Circulation Office in Memorial Library at (608) 263-7360, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:00 PM.
When May I Renew?
UW-Madison faculty, staff and graduate students with semester loans may request renewals about four weeks prior to the due date.
Undergraduates and other patrons with 28-day loans may renew at any time, however, waiting until the due date to renew results in the maximum extended loan period.
Requested ItemsThe Requested Items section will list all items currently requested from UW-Madison and other UW System libraries. The following messages alert you to the status of your requests:
- Accepted (Library catalog acknowledges the receipt of your request)
- Printed (Library staff acknowledges the receipt of your request)
- Your request is number: 1 - Expires mm/dd/year (The item has been located and your request is being processed)
- Filled (The item is currently being shipped)
- Canceled (This message will appear if you cancel your own request or if you have not picked up the item in the allotted time period)
Recalled ItemsAn item you have checked out may be recalled by another patron if another copy is unavailable at UW-Madison or another UW System library.
- The original due date will be changed and you will be notified about returning the item early (you are guaranteed a checkout of at least 14 days)
- In your Library Catalog Account, the item's status will be listed as Recall Request
- You may not renew an item that has been recalled by another patron
Blocked AccountsYou may be blocked from logging in to your Library Catalog Account, placing requests, or accessing specific databases through the Libraries. Some reasons for a blocked account are:
- An item you have checked out has been recalled by another patron, and is now overdue
- There are three or more lost items on your record (from UW-Madison and/or other UW System libraries)