Sketch of Camp Randall seen from "top of University Building", done by William Fiske Brown, Co. B., 40th Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry.
At the outbreak of the Civil War, Gov. Randall directed Maj. Horace A. Tenney to put the fairground near the University into condition for reception of Wisconsin troops. This was quickly done and, in honor of the governor, it was named Camp Randall. During the war, the following troops were stationed at Camp Randall while being organized for service: 2nd, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 20th, 23rd, 29th, 30th, 36th, 37th, 38th, 40th, 46th, 47th, 49th, 50th. Also Co. G. of Berdan's Sharpshooters. Cf. History of Dane County, by Judge Elisha W. Keyes, Madison, 1906.
The building on the mound to the left is the old fairgrounds building. The other barracks were probably built during the Civil War as part of the "putting into condition" ordered by Governor Randall.