Create a Bibliography
- Highlight the desired records for your bibliography.
- Select desired output style from the drop-down Style menu.
- Click Edit, then Copy Formatted.
A formatted bibliography of your desired records is copied to your clipboard.
- Go to your word processor and paste the formatted bibliography into your document.
EndNote Cite While You Write
Use the EndNote Cite While You Write (CWYW) Plug-in to insert references, and format citations and bibliographies automatically while you write your papers in Word. The EndNote plug-in should be added when you install EndNote on your computer.
Note: If you do not see the EndNote toolbar or EndNote commands under the MS Word Tools menu or MS Word Endnote tab, see EndNote FAQ. Add-ins are not supported in Word 2010 Starter, a simplified version of Word that comes pre-loaded on computers.
For information on Writing Collaboratively with EndNote see Collaborative Writing Projects
Inserting References in your MS Word document
- With your MS Word document open, place the cursor in the location where the citation should appear.
- Select Find Citation(s) from the EndNote menu.
This tool searches your entire library (i.e., all reference fields for all references in all folders)
- Enter a search term in the FIND: box to find the reference or references to insert.
- Click SEARCH.
- Select the desired reference. To insert multiple references in one citation, click each reference while holding the Ctrl key.
- Click INSERT.
- Open MS Word document and EndNote.
- CLICK-and-DRAG (or COPY-and-PASTE) a record from EndNote into your MS Word document.
When Instant Formatting is turned on the citation appears at the cursor location, formatted according to the bibliographic style specified. The reference information is also automatically added to the bibliography at the end of your manuscript.
Instant Formatting can cause some problems with longer Word documents. To disable this feature and format your bibliography when you are done writing your paper:
- Open the Word EndNote menu.
- Click Preferences, then GENERAL.
- Deselect Enable Instant Formatting on new Word documents. You can always turn it back on if you decide you want to do so.
- When you are ready to format your entire document, go to the Word EndNote menu and click Update Citations and Bibliography.
To add specific page numbers to your in-text citation:
- Highlight the desired in-text citation in document.
- Click Edit Citations.
- Enter page number in either the Pages: or Suffix: box.
Pages: In order to print, the CITED PAGES field must be listed in the citation template and/or footnote template of your output style.
Suffix: Enter text here to print after the citation text. Enter page numbers here if you always want them to print after the citation.
- Click OK.Your in-text citation now includes the page number and is unformatted.
- Click Update Citations and Bibliography to reformat this citation in your word document.