Overview of Citation Managers
What are they?
Citation Managers are software applications that will help researchers …
- Gather references automatically from article databases
- Format manuscripts and citations instantly in a variety of styles (MLA, APA, Turabian, etc.)
- Generate bibliographies
- Create and organize a personal research database of references, images and PDFs
- Share citations with colleagues on campus and around the world
- Transfer references among various applications
Citation Managers at UW-Madison
Any UW-Madison student, faculty or staff may use either RefWorks or EndNote Web for free as the UW-Madison Libraries currently license these resources. Please note: the UW-Madison Libraries will no longer subscribe to RefWorks after June 30, 2013. After that date, users may purchase an individual license to RefWorks after creating a backup of their account or transfer their citations to another program. EndNote Web is made available through the UW-Madison Libraries' subscription to Web of Knowledge. EndNote desktop must be purchased individually from DoIT or the UBS Digital Outpost. Both Mendeley and Zotero are free Web-based applications available to all.
For a list of citation managers supported by staff of the UW-Madison Libraries, please see our comparison chart. Library staff are happy to assist you in determining the best citation manager for your information needs. Please contact your liaison librarian or a member of the Citation Managers Working Group.
For a more comprehensive list of citation managers, please consult Wikipedia.